Re: Speeding up vc-dired still more

From: Eric S. Raymond
Subject: Re: Speeding up vc-dired still more
Date: Fri, 28 Dec 2007 04:20:06 -0500

Dan Nicolaescu <address@hidden>:
> All those vc-registered calls are generated by calling vc-backend in
> vc-dired-hook:
>
>          ;; ordinary file -- call the (possibly expensive) state query
>          (t
>            (let ((backend (vc-backend filename)))
>                (cond
>                     ;; Not registered
>                          ((not backend)

I think this tells me that dir-state needs to set a new state value of
'unregistered when it sees status flag "?" (that's the Subversion and
Mercurial flag; there may be other local equivalents).  That way the
backend check wouldn't need to be done on on a per-file basis.

This change could be a bit tricky.  Right now a nil return from
vc-state means the file is unregistered.  I don't know how deeply that
assumption is wired into the code.