Re: Speeding up vc-dired still more

From: Alexandru Harsanyi
Subject: Re: Speeding up vc-dired still more
Date: Fri, 28 Dec 2007 19:55:53 +0900

On 28 Dec 2007, at 6:25 PM, Eric S. Raymond wrote:

Alexandru Harsanyi <address@hidden>:
Perhaps `vc-dired-ignorable-p' should be a backend function
(vc-BACKEND-dired-ignorable-p). I'm thinking that the CVS backend could look at .cvsignore for the list of files to ignore, the SVN backend at .svnignore, and so on. This way, Emacs will ignore the same set of files
as the VC backend would ignore when used in command line mode.

It shouldn't *be* a new backend function, but it should probably *call*
such a function.

This is what I intended to say too :-)

The reason I say that is that there are some ignorable
files that don't fit in the .svnignore/.cvsignore model.

As an example, right now I have in there logic to ignore Makefile if
it has a peer named Makefile.in or Makefile.am.

At least for the Emacs repository, .cvsignore lists Makefile so it is ignored by CVS. A `vc-cvs-dired-ignorable-p' implementation which looks only at .cvsignore will ignore the Makefile with no extra logic.

This is a good idea, but I have several higher-priority changes in my
queue.  Are you interested enough to do it?

I'm happy to make these changes, I will send you a patch for review.

Best Regards,
Alex.