Re: [Fwd: Frame Height Different for Default Frame and Additional Frames

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: [Fwd: Frame Height Different for Default Frame and Additional Frames]
Date: Fri, 28 Dec 2007 08:56:12 -0500

Perhaps I have misunderstood the nature of the problem.  I thought the
problem was that the height in default-frame-alist was being ignored
entirely for the first frame, from these words:

     >     Yes they do.  It looks like default-frame-alist is ignored for the
first frame.

My experience is that it is not ignored.

You're now talking about a completely different problem:

    Commenting out the following stretch from frame.c fixes the bug for me.

       /* This used to be done _before_ calling x_figure_window_size, but
          since the height is reset here, this was really a no-op.  I
          assume that moving it here does what Gerd intended (although he
          no longer can remember what that was...  ++KFS, 2003-03-25.  */

I think that change causes another bug.  The height in lines of an
Emacs frame is not supposed to include the tool bar.  If you create a
frame and specify 40 lines, you should get 40 lines of text, plus a
tool bar.

    The size of the initial frame seems correct because initial frames get
    the same height regardless of whether they have a tool-bar or not (if
    they didn't we'd probably have another bug).

Could you explain that precisely?  Perhaps that special feature for -g
and the initial frame needs to be implemented in a different place.