RE: patch to fill `Parent documentation...' in Customize, plus two relat

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: patch to fill `Parent documentation...' in Customize, plus two related suggestions
Date: Fri, 28 Dec 2007 15:04:24 -0800

>     ... making a Customize frame wider than it needs to be.
>
> How can you make any frame wider than what was set it your .emacs file
> and in your start up options?  You are right, it is a definite bug if
> it does do that.

`set-frame-size' resizes a frame. It is not limited by your
`initial-frame-alist' or `default-frame-alist' or any other such alist.

I said, in this regard, that such a long line "can throw off window-fitting
and frame-fitting code". If you have code fits the width of a window or
frame to the longest line in a buffer, then the window or frame will be as
long as that longest line.

That is my case. I call `set-frame-size' to fit one-window-p frames to their
buffer text. For the target height, frame-fitting counts lines. For the
target width, it uses the length of the longest line.

A doc string generally has lines that are no longer than 80 columns. A
250-column line is an outlying exception; it throws things off quite a bit.
The result is a very wide frame, with much wasted space at the right.

A doc string generally respects a max line length, by convention, but this
particular line falls through the cracks because it is written by code that
doesn't take the recommended max into account.