Re: Hideously slow VC status queries fixed

From: Tom Tromey
Subject: Re: Hideously slow VC status queries fixed
Date: Sun, 30 Dec 2007 14:54:21 -0700

>>>>> "Eric" == Eric S Raymond <address@hidden> writes:

Eric> I'm going to do another rewrite of vc-dired-hook shortly, and I'd
Eric> appreciate it if you'd profile the results and compare those numbers
Eric> against the baseline you've established.

No problem.

>> I wonder if there is a way to do a lot less work.  For instance, could
>> we have VC look only at files that are not 'up-to-date?  In my tree
>> this would mean processing 24 files -- 3 orders of magnitude fewer.  I
>> think this would be a pretty common result for large trees, since it
>> is rare to have a patch that touches a substantial fraction of gcc.

Eric> I think that you are not quite understanding the problem here -- or at
Eric> least my assumptions about what constitutes "less work" (while
Eric> possibly incorrect) are quite different from yours.

Yeah, I'm sure I don't understand :-).  More on this below.

Eric> By contrast, I think the size of the data returned by the VC status
Eric> command, and the parsing time required for VC mode to pull that data
Eric> into Lisp-space, is much less significant.  Or, to put it a different
Eric> way, I'm assuming that the startup latency of the report generator(s)
Eric> dominates the total time from the C-x v d keystroke to the display
Eric> refresh.

Eric> If you can find a way to crunch your profiling data that
Eric> separates the latency cost of getting the report from the rest
Eric> of the interpretation time, it would be useful to compare the
Eric> two.

I think there is something to this, but it is not the whole picture.

I timed 'svn status -v' on gcc:

opsy. /usr/bin/time svn status -v > /dev/null
0.95user 1.13system 0:16.79elapsed 12%CPU (0avgtext+0avgdata 0maxresident)k

However, this is with a cold cache.  With a warm cache it is
dramatically different:

opsy. /usr/bin/time svn status -v > /dev/null
0.90user 0.33system 0:01.28elapsed 96%CPU (0avgtext+0avgdata 0maxresident)k

I also tried it on a much smaller tree I have sitting around:

opsy. /usr/bin/time svn status -v > /dev/null
0.02user 0.04system 0:01.61elapsed 4%CPU (0avgtext+0avgdata 0maxresident)k

So we can clearly see here that svn is just a lot slower on a big
tree, at least when cold.  This confirms part of your theory.

However, I also tried this:

    (let ((zz-s-time (current-time)))
      (vc-directory "~/gnu/Trunk/trunk/gcc/" nil)
       (time-subtract (current-time) zz-s-time))

This yielded (0 320 260248) with a warm cache -- so I think most of
the time must be in Emacs processing, not in svn.  Even with a cold
cache this number would be very bad.

I think what I don't understand is why we run 'svn status -v'.  This
will print information about every file.  But, why do we need
information about every file?  Would it be possible to only deal with
files that aren't "up-to-date", i.e., omit the '-v'?  This would seem
to be much more efficient.

That's just an idea though.  I also don't understand everything that
is going on in the elp results, like where all those calls to
vc-call-backend come from.

Tom