Re: ert.el --- Emacs Lisp Regression Testing

From: Lennart Borgman (gmail)
Subject: Re: ert.el --- Emacs Lisp Regression Testing
Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2007 00:28:57 +0100

Christian Ohler wrote:
I'm a big fan of automated testing/unit testing. However, it seems that there is no widely-used testing framework for Emacs Lisp yet. I've tried various packages (regress.el, elunit.el, elk-test.el, XEmacs' test-harness.el, the code in slime.el, and cc-mode's tests), but they're all either too simplistic, very specialized, or not very Lispy.

Here's the code that I use at the moment.  It requires Emacs 22.

Please try it out and let me know what you think. Something like this really ought to be added to Emacs.

I will try to test it ;-)

One thing that might be handy is something that runs selected entries in a new instance of Emacs, starting from either "emacs" or "emacs -Q". I think that is one of the most common things I do when I am testing.