Re: Selection-set editing without VC-dired

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: Selection-set editing without VC-dired
Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2007 09:49:57 +0900

>  > So, I'm not outright rejecting the idea of a non-VC-Dired UI for
>  > specifying selection sets. But I think it would be better for
>  > now if I continued to focus on making VC-Dired so fast that
>  > you won't really want or need an alternate set-editing method.
>
> For subfile (hunk-level) selection, you definitely will.  This is one
> of the features that makes Darcs fanatics.

Git can also do this sort of thing (I don't use it often, but it can be
reallly nice when you need it!), and using the "index" for commit allows
for even more possibilities.

However, are there enough common details to make a common vc interface
to such details practical?

-Miles

--
The car has become... an article of dress without which we feel uncertain,
unclad, and incomplete.  [Marshall McLuhan, Understanding Media, 1964]