repost of 'make bootstrap' problem (was: make bootstrap fails from fresh

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: repost of 'make bootstrap' problem (was: make bootstrap fails from fresh CVS checkout)
Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2007 14:57:35 -0600

Reposting, also see message IDs <address@hidden> and
<address@hidden> for the original reports with full error
logs but this should be enough.  The error thrown is in the fileio.c
test I reference below.  I am top-posting since the below is just a log
of my reports, not a discussion.

Ted

On Fri, 14 Dec 2007 14:52:48 -0600 Ted Zlatanov <address@hidden> wrote:

TZ> Further investigation:
TZ> I traced the error to fileio.c:3867:

TZ> if (XINT (end) != st.st_size
TZ>     || ((int) st.st_size * 4) / 4 != st.st_size)
TZ>   /* extra parameters added by me */
TZ>   error ("Maximum buffer size exceeded: XINT(end)=%d, st.st_size=%d",
XINT(end), st.st_size);

TZ> This shows that XINT(end) and st.st_size are both 0, by the way.  This
TZ> agrees with my observation (see the original message) that no data is
TZ> read from the file that's being loaded before the maximum buffer size is
TZ> exceeded.

TZ> If I comment out that check, the compilation proceeds until:

TZ> Dumping under names emacs and emacs-23.0.50
TZ> emacs: Can't allocate buffer for /home/tzz/source/emacs/src/temacs

TZ> in unexelf.c, line 721.  I can't avoid that error so I'm unable to build
Emacs.

TZ> This is under GCC 4.1.3 on Ubuntu:

TZ> Using built-in specs.
TZ> Target: i486-linux-gnu
TZ> Configured with: ../src/configure -v
--enable-languages=c,c++,fortran,objc,obj-c++,treelang --prefix=/usr
--enable-shared --with-system-zlib --libexecdir=/usr/lib
--without-included-gettext --enable-threads=posix --enable-nls
--with-gxx-include-dir=/usr/include/c++/4.1.3 --program-suffix=-4.1
--enable-__cxa_atexit --enable-clocale=gnu --enable-libstdcxx-debug
--enable-mpfr --enable-checking=release i486-linux-gnu