Re: What a modern collaboration toolkit looks like

From: Eric S. Raymond
Subject: Re: What a modern collaboration toolkit looks like
Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2007 19:50:51 -0500

Nick Roberts <address@hidden>:
> Stating that Emacs has weak leadership is a ridiculous assertion as it's
> a highly successful project by any standards.

The "weak leadership" characterization was Eli's, not mine.  I agree with it,
however; Richard has been distracted and operating under some fairly
crippling constraints.

> Richard has already stated that he would like to hand over
> maintenance to one person or a small team.  Currently you're not
> offering much more than rhetoric.  If you volunteered to maintain
> Emacs over the next five years, say, now that might be an
> interesting propsition.

Alas, I can't do that.  But I have already offered to put in the
full-time effort required to clean up the tools situation in 2008.

This would, among other things, free the actual project lead to think
about the right direction for Emacs itself.

> Contrary to your suggestions, there are some very talented developers on this
> list, and they could probably cover areas of Emacs with which you are not
> familiar.

Eh?  When did I ever suggest the developers here weren't "very talented"?
I believe I've actually said twice that they average more capable than
at Battle For Wesnoth, which is the model I've been exhibiting for
good tool use.

There is no shortage of talent here.  I'd say some of us have become rather
too rigid in our thinking, but that's a different issue.