Re: What a modern collaboration toolkit looks like

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: What a modern collaboration toolkit looks like
Date: Tue, 1 Jan 2008 18:27:42 +0000

Glückwünsch zum Neuen, Werner!

On Tue, Jan 01, 2008 at 07:05:35PM +0100, Werner LEMBERG wrote:

> > [...] I suggest the following two constraints for the new tools,
> > which might not apply to Battle for Wesnoth:

> > o - They must support "batch mode" working, for RMS and others who
> >   concentrate fiercely on a single activity at a time.

> git has such a batch mode, while CVS has none.  So for Richard, git
> would be a much better choice than CVS since he could commit very
> small units while being off-line.

I don't understand what you mean, here, probably because I don't know
git.  cvs can work on arbitrary sets of files, e.g. with "cvs update".
What do you mean?

I was thinking more about the IIRC thingies:  If RMS were to take part
in online chats, he'd be slowed down to the speed of ordinary hackers, a
disastrous loss of productivity for him.  (I, of course, would be barely
able to keep up.  ;-)  So, whatever way of discussion we settle on, it
must allow people to participate in "batch mode", at their own speed.

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).