Re: What a modern collaboration toolkit looks like

From: Tom Tromey
Subject: Re: What a modern collaboration toolkit looks like
Date: Tue, 01 Jan 2008 18:12:10 -0700

>>>>> "Miles" == Miles Bader <address@hidden> writes:

Miles> I've actually used Eclipse a lot for Java programming, and it has many
Miles> nice features (many of which you list).  However, it's definitely a
Miles> mixed bag -- the UI is _so_ baroque and often confusing, and in general
Miles> so "rigid" (not to mention slowwwwww) that often I found myself wishing
Miles> for Emacs again.  A mixed bag.

Yeah.  For me the tradeoffs were compelling enough to switch -- it
made me notably more efficient.

But it is true you need a much more powerful machine to run Eclipse.
Remember the good old days when people made jokes about Emacs' size?
Eclipse uses much more memory.

And, if you're used to Emacs' high level of integration and ease of
hackability, it takes some getting used to.  I think if you are come
from a more GUI-ish world, Eclipse is only mildly sucky -- from my
GUI-using friends I hear some complaints but mostly around the edges.

Miles> My wish is that Emacs gets "Emacsy" versions of Eclipse's best features,
Miles> not that Emacs becomes anything like Eclipse (which has a truly awful
Miles> user interface...).

I'm in complete agreement.  And much of it, like java compiler stuff,
should not be done in Emacs itself, IMO.

Tom