Re: Introducing 'unrecognized and 'ignored

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Introducing 'unrecognized and 'ignored
Date: Tue, 01 Jan 2008 21:02:13 -0500

> Then the problem of speeding up vc-dired-hook will reduce to a simpler
> one -- how to make the individual directory-status commands in each
> VCS return information for as many files as possible? Ideally, we want
> them to return status on *all* files beneath the current directory.

I disagree.  VC should not do any tree traversal itself.  It shouldn't
"call the backend to do tree traversal to fill some data and then do
tree traversal again hoping to only hit files that were already found".
Instead, the `dir-state' function should somehow return the list of
files found and VC-dired should only display those (at first).

By default, I'd suggest that the dir-state function only returns the
"interesting files" (the ones that are not just uptodate or ignored).

I.e. just present the result of "cvs -n update" rather than try to do
something more clever.  The user may want to request the output of "cvs
status" as well, although in any non-trivial project, this is too long
to be of any use, so it needs to be applicable to just a single subdir
(or even a single file).

        Stefan