Re: Introducing 'unrecognized and 'ignored

From: Dan Nicolaescu
Subject: Re: Introducing 'unrecognized and 'ignored
Date: Tue, 01 Jan 2008 20:45:31 -0800

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

  > >> I disagree.  VC should not do any tree traversal itself.
  >
  > > There's no way to avoid this.
  >
  > Of course there is.
  >
  > > We have a choice between two different sets of circumstances under
  > > which tree traversal will be needed:
  >
  > > 1) We can take svn and later systems as a model.  Their status commands
  > > recurse naturally, so none of those backend status commands has to
traverse
  > > trees itself.  If we do this, the CVS and MCVS backend status commands
have
  > > to do tree traversal to match the behavior of the SVN and later ones.
  >
  > I don't understand: CVS's status command recurses just fine and so does
  > MetaCVS's (not that it matters since this backend can be dropped any day
  > AFAICT).
  >
  > The only backends which might need to do tree traversal manually (AFAIK)
  > are RCS and SCCS, of course, but I think it's fine for them to do the
  > traversal by hand in the backend code.
  >
  > > Right now VC is doing the first alternative.
  >
  > Maybe we're not talking about the same "tree traversal".  But AFAICT,
  > vc-dired uses `ls' somewhere, where I think it should neither use `ls'
  > nor `directory-files' nor anything equivalent in the generic code.
  > That would also allow us to get rid of vc-directory-exclusion-list.

I would go one step further: vc-dired should not be based on dired at
all. 99% of the dired key bindings and functionality are not useful in
vc-dired.  Plus that forces use to use the "v" prefix instead of using
simple key bindings.

vc-dired could instead use something based on ewocs. Looking at git.el,
implementing the status display using ewocs looks simple enough.

Sort term using dired is fine because it provide the much needed
multiple file commit functionality. But medium term it should be nuked
and replaced.