Re: Emacs-devel Digest, Vol 47, Issue 14

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Emacs-devel Digest, Vol 47, Issue 14
Date: Wed, 02 Jan 2008 16:57:52 +0100

"Eric S. Raymond" <address@hidden> writes:

> I second this recommendation.  I am not yet sure Mercurial is the
> overall best-of-breed, but it is the most accessible of the big three
> (git, bzr, hg) and seems to have the best UI design.

Before making a decision, one should try the candidates on the Emacs
repository data which will constitute our real workload.

The Emacs history is very unusual in size and structure.  If a system
becomes glacially slow for common operations, or swallows inordinate
amounts of disk space, memory or bandwidth, this will seriously impact
the usability.

Actually, this needs to be checked under different operating systems
(and their file systems) too.  At least with git, the profiling and
tuning of the operations happens mostly on GNU/Linux and this shows.

--
David Kastrup