Re: What a modern collaboration toolkit looks like

From: Mark A. Hershberger
Subject: Re: What a modern collaboration toolkit looks like
Date: Wed, 02 Jan 2008 12:05:40 -0500

"Eric S. Raymond" <address@hidden> writes:

>> It's more of a long term problem, in that the number of Emacs users might
>> be gradually declining.  I'm only guessing here though, I don't know.
>
> I have no data on this, just an uneasy gut feeling.

http://google.com/trends?q=emacs

The above chart shows that searches for the term “emacs” have been
declining over the past 3 years.  I suspect part of this is due to the
growth of IDEs like Eclipse.

This isn't proof that use of Emacs is declining, of course.  But it does
indicate that people might not be as interested to learn about it as
they were in the past.

(If you add “vim” to the chart, you can see that queries for it have
stayed more constant. The term “vi” does not have as clear a meaning —
most of the hits are for the sixth version of something.)

--
http://hexmode.com/
GPG Fingerprint: 7E15 362D A32C DFAB E4D2  B37A 735E F10A 2DFC BFF5

My happiness grows in direct proportion to my acceptance, and in
inverse proportion to my expectations.  -- Michael J. Fox