Re: Introducing 'unrecognized and 'ignored

From: Eric S. Raymond
Subject: Re: Introducing 'unrecognized and 'ignored
Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2008 17:11:30 -0500

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden>:
> vc-directory calls dired-internal-noselect which does the directory
> listing (typically using `ls').

Oh, so we can only get rid of that by no longer using dired at all.
Right.  That may be a way to go in the future.  Dan's idea of using
ewoc may work well, I'm going to make time to look into it.

> >> That would also allow us to get rid of vc-directory-exclusion-list.
>
> > Not unless we want to wire an equivalent back into speedbar.el.
>
> That's a good idea in any case: speedbar shouldn't need to rely on VC
> for that.

But the alternative is for speedbar and all other modes that have to
be VCS-aware to have their own separate lists of special
version-control directories.  This seems wrong to me, violating what
database people call the SPOT (Single Point Of Truth) rule.

I think it's better to have that list be in vc-hooks where speedbar.el
and other things can see it.  That way they will automatically get
smarter whenever the code that manages VCSes becomes aware of
another one.

> > It's also genuinely needed in vc-next-action.
>
> I don't see it used there.

Sorry, seems I misread a grep hit.