Re: strange byte compiler behavior

From: Dan Nicolaescu
Subject: Re: strange byte compiler behavior
Date: Wed, 02 Jan 2008 14:13:38 -0800

martin rudalics <address@hidden> writes:

  > > which runs: -batch --no-site-file --multibyte --eval
"(batch-byte-recompile-directory 0)"
  > > does NOT warn
  >
  > What happens when you comment out the disjunct
  >
  > (memq var byte-compile-free-references)
  >
  > from `byte-compile-variable-ref'?  Alternatively what is the value of
  > that variable when you do not get the warning?

I can't try this right now, but why would it be relevant.
Because (boundp var) is true, then (or (boundp var) BLAH) is true and
BLAH does not get executed after that.

  > Also, could you try the same with just the file in question in the
  > directory you recompile?

I tried that before, no difference.

  > >    (message "var %s boundp %s" var  (boundp var))
  > > to `byte-compile-variable-ref' shows that `file' is bound for the function
  > > in question.  Which would explain the results.
  > > Any idea what causes `file' to be bound? (Assuming that boundp is the
  > > correct test in that context...)
  >
  > Since `byte-compile-variable-ref' has
  >
  >       (or (boundp var)
  >
  > it would be interesting _where_ in `byte-compile-variable-ref' you
  > inserted that.

At the beginning of the function, but as I explained above, it is not
relevant.