Re: strange byte compiler behavior

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: strange byte compiler behavior
Date: Fri, 04 Jan 2008 00:27:27 -0500

    `byte-recompile-directory' contains a form: "(dolist (file files)" that
    calls `byte-compile-file'. As a consequence (boundp 'file) to be t when
    `byte-compile-file' is called.

That's a joke on us.

The easy solution is to rename the variables in `byte-recompile-directory'
and maybe a few other relevant functions.

A deeper solution would be to get rid of the boundp test.

I'm sure it was added for a reason -- there must have been lots of
spurious warnings without that boundp test.  But nowadays we have done
a lot to eliminate such warnings with defvars.  Perhaps now if we get
rid of that boundp test the results would be ok.

Does someone want to try it?