Re: What a modern collaboration toolkit looks like

From: Gianluca Della Vedova
Subject: Re: What a modern collaboration toolkit looks like
Date: Fri, 4 Jan 2008 13:43:12 +0000 (UTC)

Trey Jackson <bigfaceworm <at> gmail.com> writes:

> Goal: Make changes in the way Emacs is developed in order to
> 1) enable more responsive Emacs development/releases
> 2) make Emacs development (and by extension Emacs) more attractive to new
> folks

IMHO the single most important step for achieving (2) is switching to a modern
bug tracker. I believe I am representative of a large set of Emacs users that
are willing to fill in bug reports and maybe send documentation and/or trivial
patches, but I find the current state too cumbersome and the environment might
be intimidating sometimes.

Moreover a real bug tracker gives a clear (to outsiders like me) idea of which
bugs could be fixed also by newcomers, hence easing their entrance into the
Emacs development world.

At http://amortizedanalysis.wordpress.com/2008/01/04/emacs-development/ I have
written a more detailed (and more boring) article on some possible improvements
(IMHO).

Hope to help,

--
Gianluca