Re: ert.el --- Emacs Lisp Regression Testing

From: Christian Ohler
Subject: Re: ert.el --- Emacs Lisp Regression Testing
Date: Sat, 05 Jan 2008 12:32:44 +0100

Phil Hagelberg, 2008-01-03:

I'm the author of elunit. I'm obviously very interested in unit testing
in Emacs Lisp (preferably test-driven development, but any tests are
good.) elunit has mostly been driven by my own needs, so it's no
surprise that it doesn't seem like a great fit for everyone, but I would
love to see unit testing get more traction in the Emacs community,
whether it's through elunit or ERT.

I'm familiar with (an earlier version of) elunit; I've used it for writing a test suite for xmtn (a DVC backend for the distributed version control system monotone). It served its purpose, but I wanted something that offers an even better workflow for test-driven development. None of the existing tools did that.

ERT looks several orders of magnitude more complicated than elunit, but
obviously it has a lot more functionality.

There are some parts in ERT that can be simplified, but the parts that are really tricky (`ert-run-test-debugger' and friends and `should') are inherently tricky. Other tools take simpler approaches but have less functionality and are less general.

I've beaten my head against the problem of testing with a fresh
instance, and it's always been rather awkward.

Hmm, what do you mean here? What were your goals, what was your approach, and why were you unhappy with the results?

I skimmed your page on behave.el ( http://dev.technomancy.us/Behave.el ). What are its main features? Adding tags and docstrings to ERT would not be difficult. I think ERT's `should' is already more powerful than behave.el's `expect'.

I would like to look at your code, but the command from http://dev.technomancy.us/DotFiles ,

    git clone http://git.caboo.se/technomancy.git

says

    Cannot get remote repository information.
    Perhaps git-update-server-info needs to be run there?

Christian.