Re: What a modern collaboration toolkit looks like

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: What a modern collaboration toolkit looks like
Date: Sat, 05 Jan 2008 09:29:50 -0500

    This feels like a knee-jerk reaction to the appearance of the terms
    Windows and showstopper in close proximity.

    David was referring to rolling out use of a new DVCS, not delivering
    a Gnu project release.  The show being stopped was either the specific
    tool selection or the roll out schedule.

Yes, I know.

    Surely you do not believe that emacs developers on Windows boxes do
    nothing more than work in Windows-specific areas.

You are correct, I don't believe that.

    Your statement could be interpreted as saying that not only would you
    offer the Windows world no quarter but furthermore that you could not
    care less about disenfranchising emacs contributors

Words such as "enfranchise" are inappropriate because they imply
recognizing someone's entitlement.  That's not what accepting
contributions consists of.

    Thoughtlessly obstructing the propagation of Gnu software into the
    Windows world or impeding Windows-based developers from contributing
    productively to Gnu projects would be difficult for me to understand.

Whatever tool we choose, and whatever drawbacks we choose in spite of,
the choice will not be thoughtless.