Re: What a modern collaboration toolkit looks like

From: dhruva
Subject: Re: What a modern collaboration toolkit looks like
Date: Sat, 5 Jan 2008 20:34:22 +0530

Hello,

On Jan 5, 2008 7:06 PM, Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:
> > Date: Fri, 4 Jan 2008 15:16:28 +0530
> > From: dhruva <address@hidden>
> >
> >  Though a trivial issue that many of you might not be affected (but I
> > am). Ability to access CVS from corporate firewalls. I did try to
> > inquire why system administrators block the port 2401.
>
> CVS over SSH does not use 2401, it uses SSH port 22.  Does your
> firewall block that as well?

That is one of among the first they block as port 22 and SSH gives a
shell access to a remote machine.

> > normal (HTTP/HTTPS) ports that are normally open in most corporate
> > firewalls.
>
> I once had similar problems, and the gnu.org maintainers set up CVS
> access through such ports; perhaps it's still there.  It all ceased to

Savannah has a SSH running on 443 which I can use as I have commit
access but this will not work for the general public. There is no
anonymous access.

> be a problem for me when Subversion started using SSH, and I found
> that most firewalls don't block SSH ports.

Most corporate firewalls do block SSH port for following reasons.
1. It gives you a shell access to a remote machine out of their network
2. Since it is encrypted connection with your private key, they cannot
sniff out the contents!

So far, I have worked for 5 different employers and all of them block
port 22 and 2401 (and a bunch of other ports used by IRC, NNTP,
Yahoo/Gtalk/MSN chat...). Due to this, I was unable to take part in
some of the developer chatter on IRC.

-dky

--
Contents reflect my personal views only!