Re: Why Emacs needs a modern bug tracker

From: Eric S. Raymond
Subject: Re: Why Emacs needs a modern bug tracker
Date: Sat, 5 Jan 2008 10:25:02 -0500

Richard Stallman <address@hidden>:
>     I think Stefan is expressing a view that is pretty common among the
>     old-school Emacs devs here.  Alas, I think it's quite far out of
>     touch with the reality of 2008.
>
> That is an insulting way to present your suggestions.  If you want
> your suggestions to be considered, please dont make them offensive.
> I won't give in to bullying.

Er...would you prefer I began lying to you, then?

If you insist, I could write things like "Yes!  Yes!  The assumptiona
and practices of 1993 are still *totally appropriate* in 2008, more
than a decade after the big WWW buildout.  Project scales haven't
changed, and there have been no improvements in our tools worth
noticing or incorporating."

But it wouldn't be true, and it wouldn't be helpful. And all you can
possibly accomplish by categorizing my behavior as "bullying" is to
train anyone watching the exchange to lie to you rather than bringing
you actual news of the outside world.