Re: doc-view-current-slice only used internally

From: Robert J. Chassell
Subject: Re: doc-view-current-slice only used internally
Date: Sat, 5 Jan 2008 15:49:37 +0000 (UTC)

Tassilo Horn <address@hidden> wrote

   (add-hook 'doc-view-mode-hook
             (lambda ()
               (setq doc-view-current-slice '(100 100 600 800))))

Thank you!  That is good since novices who want to learn are already
told in the Emacs Introduction how to write `add-hook' and `lambda'
expressions in their .emacs file.

The cache is useful.  Without it, that is to say, when you first start
doc-view-mode, an `emacs -Q -D' instance says the DVI to PNG
conversion is pdf/ps->png, which is obviously an error.

Also, it takes a minute to convert the first thirty pages.  Put
another way, it takes a very long time when your document has 173
pages in it.  xdvi takes less time than I can determine.

Perhaps you can save time by checking whether xdvi exists on the
computer and, if so, use it in Emacs.

Incidently, when I have the cache and am starting a new instance of
`emacs -Q -D', doc-view-mode seems to require that I go a page ahead
to see the smaller slice (or else I never waited long enough).  That
does not happen when I am first starting doc-view-mode, but, as I
said, a document takes a long time to convert.

--
    Robert J. Chassell                          GnuPG Key ID: 004B4AC8
    address@hidden                         address@hidden