Re: Why Emacs needs a modern bug tracker

From: Alfred M. Szmidt
Subject: Re: Why Emacs needs a modern bug tracker
Date: Sat, 5 Jan 2008 18:40:08 +0100 (CET)

   > Expressions like "suffocatingly constrained web interface" are
   > too negative. Maybe you had a bad experience. I only can say that
   > I wish Emacs' Customize forms were more web-form-alike.

   I've had nothing but bad experience using web interfaces for
   anything but web browsing (in its narrow sense).  "Suffocatingly
   constrained" accurately describes what I feel about these
   interfaces.  A good comparison is that of Info documentation
   vs. the reading the same manual as html.  I don't want to be forced
   to use a web interface, even a keyboard driven one, for reporting
   bugs.  I can't be alone.

You're not. "Suffocatingly constrained" describes such interfaces
quite well.

The nice thing about Emacs is that you have Emacs under your fingers.
And not another program that works so differently that you start
crying when you try to kill a region, you end up closing a tab with
unsaved data (e.g. firefox).

Or when you wish to save your bug report so you can send it later, no
can do with a web browser, in Emacs (or mutt) you could just save your
mail buffer for later editing and sending it when you feel you are
done.

And if something would crash during that session, you might just have
a auto-save file around, again, not something a web browser can do.