Re: Using DocView on Cygwin

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: Using DocView on Cygwin
Date: Sat, 05 Jan 2008 19:01:31 +0100

Angelo Graziosi <address@hidden> writes:

Hi Angelo,

> The first thing I note is that loading a PDF file, it appears a buffer
> suggesting something:
>
> 'q'...
> 'k'...

Just some keybindings you can use to stop conversion if it takes too
long.

> but this happens only for less than a second and I cannot read and say
> what it contains.

That's actually good, since it seems to be quite quick till you see the
first page.

> After this, the PDF file is shown correctly and in the mini buffer I
> find the suggestion C-c C-c 'to toggle between editing o viewing...'
> and typing C-c C-c gives the text to edit, i.e. we toggle from view to
> text mode.
>
> On the contrary, loading a PS file shows it as a text and only after
> C-c C-c, it is shown as document, i.e. we toggle from text to view
> mode.
>
> Why this different behaviour when loading PS files?

Because PostScript is a real programming language where actually many
people want to edit the code.

> Another thing I observe is that, using the mouse wheel, one can only
> scroll a single page of the document and not between a page to the
> next. Is this to be expected?

Yes.  This might change in future versions.

> On Cygwin I have found that the cache (a directory called
> 'docview1006') is stored in the Windows $TEMP (usually
> /c/DOCUME~1/.../IMPOST~1/Temp) directory and not in the Cygwin /tmp
> dir. But on Cygwin, should Emacs have the same behaviour as on linux?!
> (many Cygwin applications store their files in /tmp and do not know
> Windows $TEMP!)
>
> After closing the files (PDF/PS...), jusched.log is created in the
> Windows $TEMP:

> Fri Jan 04 23:45:48 2008 :: Either not a Win2000, XP platform or
> Non-admin user or GetModuleFilename failed or Error Opening JavaUpdate
> Keys.

> I am using Emacs on Cygwin (XP) as Non-admin user: should we be
> worried about jusched.log and what it contains?

Oh, I neither use Windows nor Cygwin, so I don't have an idea.

> one scroll horizontally?

With image-mode you can scroll in all directions with the arrow keys.

Bye,
Tassilo