Re: 23.0.50; display property and continuation arrows

From: Stephen Berman
Subject: Re: 23.0.50; display property and continuation arrows
Date: Sat, 05 Jan 2008 19:10:33 +0100

On Sat, 05 Jan 2008 18:38:59 +0100 Jan Djärv <address@hidden> wrote:

> Richard Stallman skrev:
>>     This surprises me.  I continue to see what I reported with current
>>     sources, GNU Emacs 23.0.50.2 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.12.0) of
>>     2008-01-03 on escher.  Perhaps the steps I gave to reproduce it were not
>>     clear.  I've made screen shots showing what I see.  Here is the buffer
>>     at step 3 of my OP, before evalling the display sexp:
>>
>> Maybe it only fails with the GTK build.  Jan, can you reproduce the problem?
>>

> Yes I cam.  On different toolkit builds, so it looks to be tool kit
> independent.

It is definitely toolkit independent, because a similar effect obtains
with emacs -Q -nw: when the display property is added with the cursor on
the second column of the continued line, the continuation slash at the
end of the "first" line remains and there appears to be an empty line
(cf. the second image of my previous post); but the display property is
added with the cursor on the first column of the continued line, the
continuation slash at the end of the "first" line vanishes and there is
no "empty" line (cf. the fourth image of my previous post).

Steve Berman