Re: What a modern collaboration toolkit looks like

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: What a modern collaboration toolkit looks like
Date: Sun, 06 Jan 2008 10:10:04 +0900

>     Yes there is a concept of a trunk -- at least with git, each repository
>     can contain named branches (each a reference to the tip of some
>     development line), and the branch called "master" is the default for
>     many operations.
>
> So which is the operation that alters the current version in the
> trunk?

For _your_ new changes:  git commit

For getting _others_ changes from a remote repository:  git pull

There are other commands that affect things, but the above are the most
common.

For people that use git, they really do think of "git commit" as the
git analogue of "cvs commit" -- it does "most of the things" cvs commit
does.

I guess you can think of cvs commit as being split into two different
commands in git:  git commit (which does most of the work -- bundling up
the changes to your working directory, adding a log message, updating
the head of the current branch), and git push (which sends your local
changes to a remote repository).

Stephen Turnbull posted a good explanation in this thread.

-Miles

--
I'm beginning to think that life is just one long Yoko Ono album; no rhyme
or reason, just a lot of incoherent shrieks and then it's over.  --Ian Wolff