Re: What a modern collaboration toolkit looks like

From: Robert J. Chassell
Subject: Re: What a modern collaboration toolkit looks like
Date: Sun, 6 Jan 2008 12:05:08 +0000 (UTC)

    Unless your "own data" _is_ the published repository.

But in Emacs development, it is not.

As an example, consider a Medieval European merchant: he thought of a
trading voyage to Constantinople as `his'.

Several centuries later, a merchant thought of a trading voyage as
`not his' even if he owned the ship 100%, did not purchase insurance,
etc.

That is because of a change in book keeping in which a distinction was
made between those who controlled money and their nephews and cousins
who went on the voyage.  (I think the then new book keeping was
intended to make it harder for the nephews and cousins to steal
excessively; but that is neither here nor there.)

I, for one, do not want to use RMS's repository.  For one, he is often
off-line.  I prefer a site that is supposed to be on-line when I try
to connect.

No one is defending CVS; but several want to understand how to be the
equivalent of what they are already, a 16th century merchant, rather
than a 12th century merchant.  That is what this whole `commit',
`push' discussion is about.

Since some developers have work and sleep patterns that are 12 hours
different from yours, and they do not want you to change to confirm to
them, they do not want anything that is immediate.

And some are not connected and some do not want interruptions.

IRC is big fear, since it means that some people will not develop and
there are few as it is.

That means email makes sense.

--
    Robert J. Chassell                          GnuPG Key ID: 004B4AC8
    address@hidden                         address@hidden