Re: Change the default binding of C-x C-e ?

From: Mike Mattie
Subject: Re: Change the default binding of C-x C-e ?
Date: Sun, 6 Jan 2008 07:14:54 -0800

On Sun, 06 Jan 2008 14:59:11 +0000
Leo <address@hidden> wrote:

> On 2008-01-06 11:41 +0000, Mike Mattie wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I think it is a good idea to change the default key-binding of C-x
> > C-e to eval-defun. From a reading of the Elisp Intro I became used
> > to using the usual binding which is eval-last-sexp. Things worked
> > fine until I progressed in elisp to where I wanted to use defvar.
> > As the informed have probably surmised I was baffled by the results
> > because repeated evaluation did not affect the default value.
> >
> > While reading through the manuals I stumbled across eval-defun and
> > realized what was going on. AFAICT they are effectively the same in
> > use, however eval-defun does not have suprising corner cases like
> > defvar default values.
> >
> > FWIW it may help others to change this binding.
>
> Do you know about "C-M-x"?

I do now. I have eval-defun bound to a key-sequence that works for me. I
addressed
the mailing list because I thought others might stumble as I did on this
particular
issue while learning elisp.

A note in the Emacs Lisp Intro would likely only confuse the learning process at
the earliest stage which is precocious. I thought that using eval-defun from
the beginning would side-step trouble down the road with defvar altogether.

So the issue is resolved for me, my concern was for others travelling the
elisp path.

Cheers,
Mike Mattie