Re: last-command-other-than-handle-switch-frame?

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: last-command-other-than-handle-switch-frame?
Date: Sun, 06 Jan 2008 13:09:03 -0500

    I use non-nil pop-up-frames, so lots of `handle-switch-frame' commands get
    executed behind the scene. Why that is needed I've never quite understood -
    why should a focus event be treated as a "command"?

The reason to make it generate an event is to make the command loop
check for the new frame's buffer's keymaps.

What does "treated as a command" mean?

    For some time now, I've been coding ugly hacks like this:

     (if (memq last-command '(foo handle-switch-frame))...

Does "treated as a command" mean that it goes into last-command?
I don't see any specific reason for doing so.
Maybe we should change that.

We cannot handle them thru special-event-map because they they would
not cause the command loop to recheck the keymaps.  But we could give
it a definition that sets this-command to last-command, or something
else with similar effect.