Re: Why Emacs needs a modern bug tracker

From: Óscar Fuentes
Subject: Re: Why Emacs needs a modern bug tracker
Date: Sun, 06 Jan 2008 21:37:50 +0100

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

>> A VCS provides a filesystem to work on, not a database.
>
>> A bug tracker based on a VCS wouldn't provide more that what we can
>> achieve now with FOR-RELEASE, TODO, etc.
>
> I think you're confusing things a little: the database should be inside
> a file like TODO which is itself managed via a VCS (actually the file
> needs to be alongside the rest of the code).  This way when we merge the
> unicode branch into the trunk (for instance), the unicode-branch bugs
> database will "automatically" get merged into the trunk's bugs database.

I'll like to have such a system. I was thinking how to build it and
concluded that it would work for a small project (i.e. with a few
developers) with a few or no users reporting bugs. Then, there are some
inconveniences, like what to do with clashes (when two users changes the
same field of the same report, something you won't discover until you
merge their changes), how to do queries like "reports opened on last 30
days" and some other things that can't remember right now, but maybe
everything is counterbalanced by the convenience it brings for those who
work offline.

--
Oscar