Re: What a modern collaboration toolkit looks like

From: dhruva
Subject: Re: What a modern collaboration toolkit looks like
Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2008 10:06:16 +0530

Hello,

On Jan 7, 2008 9:48 AM, Richard Stallman <address@hidden> wrote:
> With CVS, people can get the current version of every program on
> savannah in a uniform way.  What you say seems to imply that that is
> not possible with git.  That seems like a big step backwards.

There can still be one _offcial_ repository from which "people" (non
core developer community) can pull from. This could be equivalent to
the current HEAD. The only difference would be that in CVS, every core
developer checks into the _official_ repository where as in a dVCS,
the maintainer can pull in the changes from the various core
developers (or core developers can push) into it.

> Within a community of people that work together, it won't be a
> problem.  They will know to look THERE instead of HERE.  But users in
> general can't be expected to check for that sort of thing before they
> get the current development Emacs.

The above work flow would allow a single point access to the latest as
it is in the current state with CVS. You could treat all other dVCS
repositories belonging to various developers and different features as
current branches in CVS. As the users know of HEAD in CVS, IMO, they
will easily (I presume) learn about "master" in GIT or "default" in
mercurial.

with best regards,
dhruva

--
Contents reflect my personal views only!