Re: Remove toggling behavior of minor modes when called from elisp

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Remove toggling behavior of minor modes when called from elisp
Date: Mon, 07 Jan 2008 06:31:34 -0500

    Of course.  I think it's the main part of the TODO item.  For most minor
    modes, the right thing to do is to make it use define-minor-mode.

For any minor modes, it is very desirable for the variable's value
to control the entire functionality.
For the old minor modes, that was always the case.

define-minor-mode offers the option to provide forms to be executed
when you turn the mode on or off.  If that feature is used, the minor
mode can no longer be controlled by binding the variable.

Converting an existing minor mode to use define-minor-mode offers the
opportunity to take this step backward.  We need to remember to avoid
that.