Re: Why Emacs needs a modern bug tracker

From: Yavor Doganov
Subject: Re: Why Emacs needs a modern bug tracker
Date: Mon, 07 Jan 2008 16:40:33 +0200

Miles Bader wrote:

> Useful email support means supporing both submissions,
> modifications, and queries via email.

Exactly.  This is not supported by Savane, so this fact automatically
rules out Savannah as a bug tracker for Emacs.

I wonder why nobody mentioned GNATS, the GNU Bug Tracking System?
From the description:

,---- http://www.gnu.org/software/gnats/ ----
| Thanks to its architecture, GNATS is not bound to a single
| user interface – it can be used via command line, e-mail, Emacs, or a
| network daemon, usually used with a Web interface.  Together with the
| fact that all GNATS databases and configuration can be stored in plain
| text files, it allows easy use and provides good flexibility.
| Basically, if the GNATS tools do not provide everything you need, you
| can add your own additional utilities using standard GNU tools.
`----

There was a running instance once upon a time at bugs.gnu.org, but I
don't know what happened.  AFAIK the FreeBSD folks use it as a tracker
for the whole distribution, so it can't be that bad.

I guess that the most reasonable course of action is:  Those that
promote the idea of a bug tracking system make a research of all
available solutions (debbugs, Trac with the email support plugin,
GNATS, the GCC Bugzilla, etc.) and prepare a comparison list with
advantages/disatvantages, so that Emacs developers can discuss based
on it and eventually decide which BTS is the most appropriate one.