Re: What a modern collaboration toolkit looks like

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: What a modern collaboration toolkit looks like
Date: Mon, 07 Jan 2008 16:47:24 +0100

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

>> You just need to get the history once.  After that, only deltas are
>> transmitted.
>
> Until you need to checkout a new copy of the trunk, of course.

Huh?  Why would you need to do that?  Anyway, even if you think you need
another checked out work copy (and with git I am very rarely in that
situation), you can either clone your original repository (optionally
using hard links to its object store to save space) or at least tell git
to reuse its object store.

> Also, many DVCS keep a copy of the repository per checked out tree,
> which becomes costly when you have many checked out trees
> (e.g. unicode, multi-tty, trunk, your-own, 22, lexbind, yournameit,
> plus some copies for tentative hacks, ...).

I don't see why you would need more than one tree to work with at any
given point of time.  And even then, you can tell git to share all the
respective data.  Either using a single repository (probably the sanest
variant with regard to pulling and updates) or multiple ones.