Re: Introducing 'unrecognized and 'ignored

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: Introducing 'unrecognized and 'ignored
Date: Wed, 09 Jan 2008 04:34:01 +0900

>     Showing unregistred files, basically.
>
> If this feature is disconnected from Dired, I guess there is no need
> to implement that mode.  It follows there is an advantage in staying
> with Dired: continuing to offer that mode.

The thing is that purely using a "VCS-centric" view of what files are
available is usually _much_ more efficient.  The VCS usually can
efficiently tell you about an "interesting subset" (non-ignored) of
unregistered files, and I think that's enough -- there's no need to read
the filesystem directly.

[Indeed, reading the filesystem directly would both require a lot more
programming effort, and probably be much, much slower (remember that one
of the big problems with vc-dired historically is that it's so slow as
to be basically unusable for non-trivial projects).]

-Miles

--
"Nah, there's no bigger atheist than me.  Well, I take that back.
I'm a cancer screening away from going agnostic and a biopsy away