Re: CC mode 5.31.4: c-{beginning, end}-of-defun try to modify buffer

From: Lennart Borgman (gmail)
Subject: Re: CC mode 5.31.4: c-{beginning, end}-of-defun try to modify buffer
Date: Tue, 08 Jan 2008 22:58:58 +0100

martin rudalics wrote:
There is a macro in font-lock.el called save-buffer-state that font lock uses when it changes the text properties. Unfortunately that macro is not available for anyone else to use since it is in an eval-when-compile. Maybe that macro should be made available outside of font-lock.el -- for changing text properties?

Apparently people don't want it, see:

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-gnu-emacs/2007-08/msg00068.html

You mean because no one has responded to your request?

I believe I too have made the same request before, but with no response. If used properly I see no disadvantages with the save-buffer-state macro -- but otherwise it is of course dangerous.

However I do not know the actual reason that it is not made available. Could someone please explain?