Re: removing support for old platforms

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: removing support for old platforms
Date: Wed, 09 Jan 2008 06:37:42 -0500

    Well, it would be a good joke to read something like

    * Emacs is now prepared to run on the following machines and systems,
    which are expected to be available in some distant future: ...

Yes that would be funny.  But I think "distant past" is what fits the
convention of Antinews better.  The convention is not that we call the
past the future.  Rather, we call it the past, but we talk about it in
the ways normally used for talking about the future.

The full list of discontinued platforms is not necessary for the joke
and would just be dull.  Maybe we could mention two or three.
Or maybe the joke doesn't need any specific names:

    * Emacs 21 supports many additional systems and computers
    that will be available in the distant past.