Re: 23.0.50; ps-print-buffer-with-faces hangs on w32

From: Jason Rumney
Subject: Re: 23.0.50; ps-print-buffer-with-faces hangs on w32
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2008 14:36:51 +0000

Lennart Borgman (gmail) wrote:

What exactly does this mean?

Does any Emacs variable have the value "C:\\PRN"?

The variable `printer' above.
I don't have a variable `printer', is this from an external package you have installed? I do have a variable `printer-name', but it's default value on Windows is the device name "PRN", not "C:\\PRN" (which though it looks like a file name will still refer to the PRN device under some circumstances in Windows, but I'm not sure Windows is consistent about this, and in some cases may actually refer to the file, especially if the printer driver for your default printer does not expose a standard character device).

What is a "Windows printer"?

I forgot what these printers are called. It seems like they are called "GDI printers" or "winprinters".
Calling them winprinters suggests that there is something that makes them a win over other more functional printers. Really the printer hardware is not the issue, often the printer will be better supported by Free Software like CUPS than by the manufacturers own Windows drivers, so calling them Windows printers is also misleading. What you really mean is that the Windows printer drivers that the manufacturer has supplied are limited to supporting only GDI based printing, as they do not expose a character device (and are connected via USB, so the COM or PAR character devices are not automatically available) that could be used to print directly to the printer in text mode or whatever command language(s) that the printer supports natively (eg Postscript, PCL or ESC/P). This problem can often be worked around by sharing the printer from Windows, and setting the printer-name within Emacs to the network share path of the printer (eg "//localhost/printer").

But it is unlikely that a printer with such limited drivers supports Postscript natively, so to use the ps-print commands, you'll need to set up a software postscript interpreter such as Ghostscript anyway.