Re: Why Emacs needs a modern bug tracker

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Why Emacs needs a modern bug tracker
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2008 23:41:38 +0100

Nick Roberts <address@hidden> writes:

>  > > I think you'd really like debbugs (Debian BTS), Richard, for the same
>  > > reasons I love it (as a user). It's completely driven via email and
>  > > has few knobs and whistles.
>  > >
>  > > Documentation about debbugs and a simple reporting form can be found
>  > > at:
>  > >
>  > >   http://www.us.debian.org/Bugs/
>  >
>  > At first it looks nice.
>  >
>  > But has it support for submitting bugs using web forms?
>
> Good point.  We can find a bug tracking system that suits RMS's needs
> but, at the end of the day, it's not worth anything if it doesn't suit
> those of the user.  I suspect most, especially younger users, would
> prefer web forms to e-mail.

Please don't act on suspicions about "dumb/younger/whatever users"
alone.  While it is certainly not uncommon to suspect the rest of the
world to be composed of strange people whose behaviors and preferences
one can't really comprehend, there would actually be very little
motivation for those to play around with Emacs in the first place.