Re: RFC: status icon support

From: Andreas Schwab
Subject: Re: RFC: status icon support
Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2008 18:36:52 +0100

Dan Nicolaescu <address@hidden> writes:

> Andreas Schwab <address@hidden> writes:
>
>   > Dan Nicolaescu <address@hidden> writes:
>   >
>   > > Richard Stallman <address@hidden> writes:
>   > >
>   > >   >     Please no K&R in new code.
>   > >   >
>   > >   > We have no policy against K&R style.  I recently accepted non-K&R
>   > >   > function definitions in Emacs sources, but I still do not
> particularly
>   > >   > like it.  K&R style is easier to read anyway.
>   > >
>   > > It might be easier to read for you personally, but it is harder for
>   > > people that have never written/read any K&R code. Some emacs
>   > > contributors have started programming after C was standardized, so they
>   > > never had a chance to know any different (and its quite possible that
>   > > some were even born after the standardization).
>   >
>   > Old-style function definitions are still part of the C standard.  They
>   > are only marked obsolescent.
>
> And because of that they are not being used, people are not being taught
> about them.

I claim that the majority of existing C sources still uses old-style
function definitions.  I cannot prove that, but given the vast amount of
existing old software I would be surprised if a programmer can learn C
without having been confronted with them.

Andreas.

--
Andreas Schwab, SuSE Labs, address@hidden