Re: bootstrap fails AND how about fixing the byte-compiler?

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: bootstrap fails AND how about fixing the byte-compiler?
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2008 09:58:51 +0900

Alan Mackenzie <address@hidden> writes:
> make bootstrap _is_ supposed to work from raw source, regardless of
> whatever rubbish is cluttering up the file tree, isn't it?

Yeah... even recently it still pretty much seems to do that though
(last time for me was a week or two ago).

One issue I 've noticed, though:  somebody changed the lisp Makefile to
rebuild autoloads before everything else, even when bootstrapping, if
there is an existing (pre-bootstrap) emacs executable in src/emacs.
This often doesn't work correctly (it barfs building the autoloads), so
you might have to do "rm src/emacs" before doing make bootstrap.

-Miles

--
Come now, if we were really planning to harm you, would we be waiting here,
 beside the path, in the very darkest part of the forest?