vc-dired refresh

From: Nick Roberts
Subject: vc-dired refresh
Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2008 10:48:16 +1300

I've noticed the following problem with vc-dired.  Its present in Emacs 21.3
and a bit obscure, so Ij ust present it here for the record.

Sometimes that if you do version control operations outside Emacs, 'g'
(revert-buffer) in vc-dired doesn't keep track of the changes (presumably using
some internal state).

Here's one (contrived) example of what I'm saying:

>From the command line:

  1) cd emacs/src  (or your directory for Emacs C files.

  2) touch emacs.c

>From Emacs (with cvs-stay-local t)

  3) C-x v d

  4) Dired under VC (directory): ~/emacs/src/<RET>

emacs.c is displayed as modified because the date has changed

>From the command line:

  5) cvs status emacs.c

This finds no changes, updates the timestamp in Entries and reports that
emacs.c is up-to-date.

>From Emacs

  6) 'g' should show now that emacs.c is not modified but doesn't, presumably
  because it doesn't consult the Entries file again.