Re: vc-dired refresh

From: Alexandru Harsanyi
Subject: Re: vc-dired refresh
Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2008 08:00:47 +0900

On 19 Jan 2008, at 6:48 AM, Nick Roberts wrote:

I've noticed the following problem with vc-dired. Its present in Emacs 21.3
and a bit obscure, so Ij ust present it here for the record.

Sometimes that if you do version control operations outside Emacs, 'g'
(revert-buffer) in vc-dired doesn't keep track of the changes (presumably using
some internal state).

Here's one (contrived) example of what I'm saying:

From the command line:

  1) cd emacs/src  (or your directory for Emacs C files.

  2) touch emacs.c

From Emacs (with cvs-stay-local t)

  3) C-x v d

  4) Dired under VC (directory): ~/emacs/src/<RET>

emacs.c is displayed as modified because the date has changed

From the command line:

  5) cvs status emacs.c

This finds no changes, updates the timestamp in Entries and reports that
emacs.c is up-to-date.

From Emacs

6) 'g' should show now that emacs.c is not modified but doesn't, presumably
  because it doesn't consult the Entries file again.

I believe this is related to the vc-workfile-unchanged-p problem I reported in mid December 2007. Basically vc will consider a file as changed if its modification time is different than the one recorded at checkout (or when the file is first loaded).

The problem will also manifest itself in C-x v v prompting you to checkin the file instead of saying that it is up to date.

Cheers,
Alex.