Re: w32 issues

From: Lennart Borgman (gmail)
Subject: Re: w32 issues
Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2008 21:45:10 +0100

Eli Zaretskii wrote:
Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2008 21:04:24 +0100
From: "Lennart Borgman (gmail)" <address@hidden>
CC: address@hidden, address@hidden, address@hidden, address@hidden

I do not think it is enough just put something like that in the manual. Instead I think the user should be warned when they try to print because at that moment they can loose unsaved work if Emacs hangs completely.

As I said when we discussed this, I don't like the idea of warning,
unless it also offers to save all unsaved buffers.

Of course it can do that. I do not understand what you want to say. Would you agree to add such a warning?

I'd prefer that we try to detect the problematic situation and tell
the user she could be in trouble only if we find that to be the case.
That is IMO what the TODO item should say.

IMO it is only slightly better since it is still a very big chance that printing is broken.

Any user that tries to print in Emacs on w32 have a big chance for
trouble.

I don't agree with this assertion.

We do not follow the API:s, that is basically why I think there is a big chance that printing is broken. I believe the best we can do for the users is telling them that there is a (big) chance that it will not work.

I can't understand how you can have another opinion in this simple matter. I guess you try to base it on experience, but I think that is problematic here.