Re: w32 issues

From: Lennart Borgman (gmail)
Subject: Re: w32 issues
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2008 02:03:38 +0100

Vinicius Jose Latorre wrote:

I guess that can work in some circumstances, but it bypasses the printer drivers. Couldn't that lead to problems for the printer drivers?

Yes, it bypasses the printer driver, what kind of problem?

Printer state mostly. Maybe some lock conditions. However these are not the main obstacles, please see my other message.

Humm, it seems that this program doesn't bypass the printer driver.
I've just read the program documentation:

S_Run opens the PostScript file for input. We use the Standard C I/O functions on the PostScript file because they are convenient, but we must use Winders-specific functions for the printer. *We send the PostScript data to the printer as ``raw'' data, so we must open the printer with OpenPrinter*, tell Winders that we're printing a document with StartDocPrinter, & then ensure that the printer is in PostScript mode. All that printer preparation happens in S_StartPrinter.

I do not think that is the driver. That is only the API to access the printer. Same as a driver is using (but it does a lot more).