Re: 23.0.50; hexl-mode and auto-revert-mode incompatibilities

From: Simias
Subject: Re: 23.0.50; hexl-mode and auto-revert-mode incompatibilities
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2008 03:06:45 +0100

martin rudalics <address@hidden> writes:

>>   If I open a file in emacs, enable both hexl-mode and
>> auto-revert-mode in its buffer and then modify the content of the file
>> externally, the buffer gets refreshed but its content seems... rather
>> littered. C-l doesn't fix it.
>>
>>   I have similar problems with "auto-revert-tail-mode", but not when I
>> revert the buffer "manually" with M-x revert-buffer.
>>
>>   It seems that when the buffer gets refreshed, it behaves as if
>> hexl-mode was not here (for instance with auto-revert-tail-mode, it
>> just appends the text, without printing the hex values) but I'm not
>> sure about what's going on here.
>
> It's because `auto-revert-mode' doesn't reset the major mode when
> reverting the buffer and `hexl-mode' does nothing when the buffer is
> already in `hexl-mode'.  Does the attached patch give good results?
> *** hexl.el.~1.115.~  Sat Oct 27 12:07:12 2007
> --- hexl.el   Mon Jan 21 14:32:58 2008
  [...]

  Thank you for investigating this.

  It does for auto-revert-mode (everything seems to work fine), however
with auto-revert-tail-mode it's even more broken. When I append to a
file externally and both auto-revert-tail-mode and hexl-mode are
activated, first emacs tells me:
"Converting to hexl format discards undo info; ok? (y or n)",
and when I answer "yes" the buffer fills with gibberish.

  Thanks again,
--
Simias