Re: State of VC?

From: Tom Tromey
Subject: Re: State of VC?
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2008 14:51:05 -0700

Tom> There are a few bug reports, some with patches, that were never looked
Tom> at.  Reviewing those would be a good start.

Dan> Pointers?
Dan> I only remember one bug:
Dan> http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.devel/87064

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2008-01/msg00549.html
  (this patch is probably bogus)

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2008-01/msg00267.html

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2008-01/msg00410.html
  (a patch, not really a bug)

I also reported one about use of shrink-window-if-larger-than-buffer
and VC, but I don't see it right now.

Dan> By this time I think that we can declare the vc-status experiment a
Dan> success. It is in decent shape and the code is still very simple and
Dan> understandable.  Do you agree?

I think it has potential, but it is not ready.

Dan> ;; - vc-register should register multiple files at a time. The
Dan> ;;  `register' backend function already supports that.

This item is listed twice.

Tom> * Make dir-status back end function update the vc-status buffer
Tom> asynchronously.  This means using a process filter.

Dan> I am not yet convinced that we should do this. The discussion on this
Dan> was started by your observation that PCL-CVS and psvn "pause" when
Dan> updating the display. It would be good to actually investigate and see
Dan> what the cause of the "pause" is, and make sure that it can be fixed by
Dan> going asynchronous.

According to the psvn maintainer it is due to sorting the entries
after svn exits.

Anyway the experiment is pretty easy.  I will try to remember to do it.

Tom> * Don't clear vc-status buffer when updating.  This means figuring out
Tom> how to insert new items into the ewoc at the right point.

Dan> We don't need to do this right away an easy stopgap: we can keep a list
Dan> of selected items and select them at the time they are inserted.

This is not the same if a marked file changes from modified to unmodified.
In this case it will disappear from the listing.

IMO it is nicer UI for the entries to persist a bit.

Tom