Re: 23.0.50; Display bug with vline.el and viper

From: Lennart Borgman (gmail)
Subject: Re: 23.0.50; Display bug with vline.el and viper
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2008 01:17:33 +0100

Lennart Borgman (gmail) wrote:
Vinicius Jose Latorre wrote:

Could it be a bug in vline mode?  What does vline mode do, anyway?

Drew answered what it does.

I do not think it is a bug in vline. The code that updates the display in vline-show is in a save-excursion form so point should be restored.

I had a similar problem in highline package.

Try to insert:

   (redisplay t)

At the end of vline-show function.

It did not cure the problem, but changed the behaviour a bit (when I added it at the beginning of the function, after vline-clear has been run). I think this might be a redisplay problem.

I tried to narrow it down a bit more. It happens when there is something like this

  a line that wraps
  empty line
  non-empty line

Try this with

  - screen height 3
  - viper-mode on
  - vline-mode on
  - point in column 1

Eh, forgot to say that cursor should be on the non-empty line and that this line should be at the bottom of the screen. The strange cursor move happens when down arrow is pressed. Then suddenly point jumps to the empty line and no scrolling occurs.

There is no error signaled (on the lisp level).

Just press the up and down keys repeatedly. (Turn on viper-mode with viper-mode and turn it off with viper-go-away.)

It looks very weird that viper-mode is involved. There are viper functions in pre/post-command-hook, but AFAICS they does nothing here. (Am I missing something, Michael?)

Is there no one else that can reproduce this? Is it perhaps a w32 only problem?